Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oinky Oink Oink

That's right, y'all... it's official. I have the Swine Flu.

I thought that I'd write about the progression of this illness, so that you will know if you're getting it:

Day 1. Saturday: I start to feel like I'm getting chest congestion as I drive home from hanging out with Jill. I assume it's just because I was out late (again) after a long day. By the time I get home, I have chest congestion, stuffy nose, and, as I'm sitting on the toilet, I realize I'm going to barf. Just like that.

Day 2. Sunday: I wake up at 6 AM to feeling like I have a flu and a cold at the same time. The nausea isn't as severe as with the flu, but the sore throat and chest congestion begins it's butt-kicking. I stay in bed all day, drinking juice, theraflu, water, and soup. I went to web-MD to try to find out what's wrong. Suggestions are: common cold, flu virus, H1N1 virus, as well as some other crazy things, like mumps, parasites, etc.

Day 3. Monday: I wake up at 5 AM, feeling slightly better (I think it's because I was still high on NyQuil). I can't go back to sleep because of my dry cough--new addition to the list. I notice that the glands in my armpits and throat are swollen as I shower (trying to shave swollen armpits while on NyQuil proves to be quite the adventure), but I still have to make it to my 7 AM Accounting class to turn in my take-home quiz and homework. I call my doctors as soon as they open, and SURPRISE! I have Swine Flu. After going to Target (yes, I'm one of those people that spreads germs around that everyone hates...we all need food and more medicine at times, right?), I go home to officially start my quarantine. I drink a cup of Theraflu, fall asleep around 10 AM and don't wake up until 6 PM. I'd say it was the best day of having Swine Flu ever! Unfortunately, I start having more "productive coughs" with blood involved.

Funny anecdote: When I'm on drugs, I often lose my sense of grip. I was drinking a glass of Diet Coke, but totally dropped it all over the comforter I was using. As I stand up to gather it up and put it in the washer, I barf. Right on the same spot as the Diet Coke. I was surprised I didn't then pee my pants, I laughed so hard at myself for not knowing I was about to throw up. Then I started coughing really hard (I think that might be why I threw up in the first place), and it all got a lot less funny.

Last night, my sleep was horrible. I kept waking up due to wind outside and someone coughing loudly... Oh, that's me? Hmmm... at this point I'm so groggy I forget that I'm way sick and just keep wondering what's happening...

Day 4. Today: I feel a lot more sick as far as the coughing and sore throat go. My lungs feel mostly the same, and I don't quite know if I'm nauseous. I DO know, however, that it's been snowing all night. Because of the snow, I feel like I've been sick for ages.


I'm supposed to start feeling better tomorrow and be able to pick up JJ from the airport, and then my mom, on Friday. I sure hope I can! We're all going to Vegas to watch Mish get her white coat. I'll update on how the rest of this goes when I get over it.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Man! I really hope I am spared the swine flu! It sounds horrible.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Diana said...

I laughed at that barf and dr pepper story too. Wow. Hope you get better soon

Unknown said...

Sorry! That totaly sucks, i so do not want that ever! sounds horrible! I stood in line on tuesday for 3 hours to get the h1n1 shot for me and my son...I sure hope it works! I hope you get feeling better soon! Don't want to waste your time with JJ being sick!

Sandi said...

That sounds awful! I hope you're feeling better today. Oh btw Joni doesn't have texting. I've tried to talk her into it but no luck yet:)

Tab said...

WHOA!!! That is probably the most miserable flu I have ever heard of! I had to read it before I tried to go to bed since we were just chatting about it. OH! And on a funny note, I also lose my ability to grip anything when I'm drugged up...or even kind of sleepy for that matter (I act the same in both situations). I'm so glad you're feeling better!