Monday, February 1, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

Ahh, another recipe. This one if for one of JJ's favorites, and was pretty well-documented, if I say so myself.

Any time I ask JJ what he wants when I go to Arlington, he always says enchiladas. I think it's boring to eat the same thing over and over, but he doesn't seem to mind (I guess that proves that he really likes them). Whenever I make them, I make another batch and put them in the freezer so that he can just bake 'em up one day and feel like he gets a home-cooked meal. I'll modify the recipe so that it's just for one batch (7-8 big enchiladas), but you can double, triple, quadruple... whatever you want! The pics will have large amounts though.

We go to Costco and get rotisserie chickens--1 for each recipe. They're bigger and cheaper than the ones that you can get at the grocery, although I have used a roasted turkey breast in place of the chicken before.

Thoroughly pick the chicken, taking off all of the skin and fat. I leave the white meat in chunks and shred the breast meat finer.


Mix together:
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (it actually makes a delicious difference if you use Campbell's here)
1 16-oz tub of Sour Cream
1 or 2 cans of green chiles, if you do 1, leave the sauce, if you do 2, drain the sauce from one
1 TBSP hot sauce (we use Tapatio, but any kind is fine)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Divide the sauce--Put about half or 2/3 into the chicken, depending on how much it needs. It should look pretty saucy:

Put some of the chicken mixture onto a burrito-size tortilla (you'll need 8ish), and wrap as shown:


First, fold the burrito into a funnel shape (I learned this from a show about Taco Bell).

*MIGHT I ADD: When I was making enchiladas, JJ was supposed to be the photographer. He was.... indisposed.... when I was folding them, so I decided to take these pictures by balancing the camera on my chest and pushing the button with my chin. NOT BAD, if I say so myself.


Fold the large end of the funnel and tightly wrap the filling in the tortilla, burrito-style.


Put the burritos into a well-buttered casserole dish, making sure they're in there tight.


Cover with the remainder of the sauce and like half of a small bag of shredded cheese. JJ likes the Mexican blend, but I find that all of those shredded semi-soft cheeses taste the same. JJ gets what JJ wants, as you can see:


Bake in a 325*F oven (bottom rack) for an hour to an hour and a half, or until the top is golden. My favorite part of cooking it at a low temp for a long time is that the bottoms of the tortillas get crispy.


We serve this with hot sauce and a green salad. JJ makes the salad. I forgot to take a pic until I had already eaten like half of everything. Notice that I have 2 beverages--One is water and one is JJ's new homemade ginger ale. I also bogart the hot sauce.


I asked JJ if I could take a pic of him eating... here is the result:


What a weirdo.



3 comments:

Britt said...

YAY! I LOVE THESE SO SO MUCH!

Tab said...

Hey! I saw the same show on the Food Network, and I've been excited for the next time i buy tortillas ever since (does that make me a nerd)! I'm going to try your recipe - I've never made enchiladas before, so woohoo!

Marika said...

Tabs-
What show on the Food Network?