Monday, February 8, 2010

She'll Be Mad That I Hijacked Our Blog...

Even though this is our blog; aside from an occasional comment, I let her run with it. I am too irresponsible and undependable to be trusted to post regularly.

If you read this blog from somewhere other than the east coast, then you may have heard that DC was recently hit with some snowfall totaling 20-30 inches. To put that in perspective if you live in UT and say "so, what's the big deal?"--that's like about 7 feet to you. Here, people have been known to cancel school on the mere threat of snow; half an inch, and it's a sure thing.
So after being snowed in for almost three days with no work or internet to entertain, I decided to go venture out and see what was going on. Here is what I saw:




This "sidewalk" is actually pretty good. Apparently there is no obligation for businesses that own a piece of sidewalk to clear it...ever. It seems that someone needs to fall, break their friggin neck, sue, and win a large settlement to teach them. Good luck with that.



The Key Bridge: a scenic way to get into Georgetown.



The spires of the Georgetown cathedral are pretty iconic. Also, if you see these on your right when driving--you are on the GW parkway and will be heading north for awhile, whether you wanted to or not. Just sayin'.



This area has been suffering an epidemic for many years now. It's a serious condition called "jogging." Infected people look outside at two feet of snow, sketchy roads, temps in the low teens, and say "I think I'll go for a jog." I literally have recently seen joggers darting around traffic as it skids on ice. At what point are the health benefits outweighed by increasing odds of getting hit by a snowplow?



DC "skyline", if you can call it that. Washington Monument on the far right.




You can't build tall buildings in DC, but you can across the Potomac in VA. So whenever movies want to show a gritty urban high-rise shot, set in DC, to build the drama of a bogus conspiracy plot...they actually show Rosslyn. (Also home of a great pho place and a condescending burger joint, btw.)



























Georgetown is one of the older parts of the city. It has gentrified beyond belief (3 million dollar townhouse anyone?) But it retains some of its charm as one of the few neighborhoods with "character" that is also safe at night...I think that's all I'll say. Oh, and those are the stairs from The Exorcist. I used to think that was the scariest movie ever made. Now I think of it when I eat pea soup.



There is also a shopping epidemic. This is mostly due to the demographics of the place; but still, it's outta control. VA and DC are currently in a snow emergency status. Things are borderline disaster here but when you need some $300 jeans, I guess you just need 'em. M Street was hopping!



Georgetown has a cool canal with locks for boats, I guess. They are obviously not in use and have been kept around for purely historical and aesthetic reasons (and to make your townhouse more expensive if it's nearby, I presume).



The Kennedy Center from across the Potomac. The scene of our "we welcome ourselves to DC" date. The pier where I took this pic is, in summer, quite a scene. It's quite a party, replete with pervy old dudes in houseboats and yachts trying to get cute girls on said watercraft. And by "party", I mean gross. I guess that is what rich people around here do.



Nothing to say about this. Just though it looked cool.

After this I walked to the metro and went home. We are supposed to get another 20" of snow tomorrow. That will be interesting. And by "interesting", I mean suck. At least I have my internet back, so I will be streaming a netflix marathon.

The end.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Alright JJ, way to post! I gotta say that D.C. is a kickin' city - glad to see you are having fun out there.

Britt said...

Awesome post. p.s. I'm so jealous you live by an underground metro during these storms!!

Rachel said...

Beautiful pictures JJ! I have another friend who lives in DC and they are still not able to get their car dug out from all the snow! Glad it isn't here!

Marika said...

I'm not mad. I like it, you took good pics. Welcome to blogging.

Laura Smith said...

Way to go JJ!!! Those pics are awesome! And your blogging wasn't to bad either!! HA. I really did like it!! Good Luck with all that snow!! It's like 50 degrees here with no snow! It's so weird...

Brittany Anne said...

Nice blog JJ. Marika I'm jealous, I don't think Josh would ever contribute to our blog.